Monday, April 13, 2009

My Peach Cobbler

Happy Happy National Peach Cobbler Day!! I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy some peach cobbler today. If not, make my recipe tomorrow and tell me what you think! ;)

After dinner today I got started on my peach cobbler. I began with my biscuit recipe that I use from an old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. But I changed it a little to make it sweeter. So here's the recipe for those that are interested.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cans peaches in light syrup
  • 1 Tbls corn starch
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 2 1/2 Tbls sugar
  • 1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 + 1/8 tsp cream of tarter
  • 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cinnamon (your preference)
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/3 + 1/6 cup milk
  • cinnamon sugar mixture (sorry I can't be more specific, I keep a spice shaker full of cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on toast and just used that)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Drain peach syrup into small bowl, and place peaches into a larger bowl. Add cinnamon sugar mixture to taste, until slightly sweeter with a hint of cinnamon (personally I didn't want it too strongly sweet or cinnamon-y, cuz I knew I'd be adding more to the dough that goes on top, but use however much floats your boat).
  3. Take about a half cup of the syrup and mix cornstarch into it until smooth (or just mostly smooth) and pour into peaches. Peaches should be liquid-y but not drowning in the stuff.
  4. Place peaches into an 8x8 glass pan, and place into oven. Cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, combine flour, 2 1/2 Tbls sugar, salt, cream of tarter, baking powder and 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Using a fork cut shortening into flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs. Make a bowl in the middle and pour the milk into it. Quickly stir together just until the dough is moistened, but don't over-mix. You don't need to knead it, it's better not to in fact.
  6. Once the peaches have cooked for 10 minutes, take them out of the oven, and using your finger, make rough balls of the dough (not t0o big, about the width of a nickel) and place evenly over the entire surface of the peaches.
  7. Generously sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar mixture, and place into 450 degree oven. You might want a pan underneath it to catch any drips. Cook for 22 minutes, placing foil over the top the last 5 minutes so it doesn't get too browned. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
  8. Enjoy! Delicious with whip cream or vanilla ice cream. Or in our case, homemade strawberry ice cream, cuz that was all we had. Makes 4-5 servings.

This was very much enjoyed by us, Lily included. Earlier when I mentioned that Ben and I have different definitions of the perfect peach cobbler, apparently I misunderstood. I asked him what he thought of this, and he said that besides adding more sugar on top, it was the perfect peach cobbler. Yay!!! I agreed, so... no more searching! I now have my recipe, and I'll need to find a new life mission. :)

Peach Cobbler 016
The finished product!

Peach Cobbler 024
It was pretty dang yummy.

Peach Cobbler 021
Lily enjoying my masterpiece.


Here's a video showing how Lily has recently started saying and trying to sign "hot." It's pretty adorable.

Peach Cobbler 018
Lily noticed I had the camera out and immediately smiled like this. You know, I'm sure I'm not biased at all when I say she's pretty much the cutest little girl in the world.

No comments: