Monday, April 23, 2012

Sleep-training

This little guy

Vacation fun 224

has been making me lose sleep in a big way.

He looks so cute and innocent

Vacation fun 222

and acts so tired!

Vacation fun 223

But then he’s up, two hours after I put him down for bed. And then three hours after that. And then two hours after that. And again. And again.

Vacation fun 226

Yeah, I don’t know what’s up with that either.

So a few days ago I started sleep training. Like clockwork, he was up at 10:30 looking for a snack. I picked him up, soothed him without nursing him until he calmed down, and put him back down. And he screamed like I had poked him with a pin or something. Repeat about 12 times until he finally stays calm and falls back asleep. I did nurse him at 1:30 (another of his self-designated feeding times) because it had been 6 hours since I nursed him last. But then he was up again at 3. And at 4. And 5. And 6. Oh boy.

It’s gotten a little bit better each night. Last night he slept six hours straight without waking up, and then another 4. Which would have been awesome, had I been able to sleep the same amount of time. But nope. Last night I was woken twice by this guy:

Park 085

Yes. Twice.

And once by her:

Vacation fun 335

So I was still up about 5 times. Grrrr.

It has to get better, right?

At least they’re all really cute.

2 comments:

Liz Busby said...

My suggestion? Stop picking him up and putting him down. Just sit him down and walk away. Turn on a movie and dig your fingers into the couch to resist the urge to help him. Allow him the time to figure out how to calm himself down and put himself back to sleep. I guarantee by halfway through the movie, he'll be asleep.

Cassie Rowse said...

You should try reading The Baby Sleep Solution by Suzy Giordano. It's basically the same thing you are doing with a little bit of variation and advice to get you through. We did it with Soren when he was 7 months old and we were sleeping through the night about 2 weeks later. He still sleeps through the night (like 11 hours solid) or takes care of his problem by himself. Good luck!